1. Keep your dives and flights apart
In the pre-holiday rush to pack suitcases, we’re more likely to forget the simple things. But when it comes to protecting your home, these details may be important. Save this checklist, or print it out and keep it handy, to make sure your home is safe and you can safely enjoy your vacation.
1. Place a hold on your postal delivery
Or ask a neighbour or relative to collect the pile of mail-order catalogues that can build up on the doorstep and are a big sign that no one’s home.
2. Don’t post information on social networks that could alert potential thieves that your home is empty
Check your privacy settings… or leave uploading the vacation photos until you get back!
3. Leave curtains or shutters in the normal position to make the house look occupied
You can also use automatic light timers to make it look like someone is at home.
4. Take pictures of your valuable possessions to make a digital home inventory with photos and keep scans of receipts
This can help you prove purchase of the goods you own if something were to happen to them. Make sure you store this inventory list securely, whether it’s in the cloud or on a hard disk outside your home.
5. Tell your alarm system provider that you’re going away
Do also remember to update the contact details in the system (you wouldn’t want the system to alert an outdated point of contact if the alarm does really go off!).
6. Take the spare key out from under the mat
Remove any spare keys you might have hidden around your property. Think they’ll never find it? If it’s under a doormat or inside a fake rock, you’re not the first person to have thought of this, and professional thieves will know where to look.
7. Take a walk around your home and test every door and window
Last but not least, do these final checks: If necessary, replace your door locks before you go, and use wooden dowels (small rods) in window tracks to secure them so that they cannot be easily slid open.
For added protection, you may also wish to insure your belongings and assets with our AXA Home insurance solutions.